18 November 2022

The Start Of It All

As advertised in previous posts, today is The Tim's birthday - which is also the start of the holiday season in our house. So it's off and running around here!

But today is devoted to The Birthday. The cake is baked, so it needs to be frosted. The Tim asked for a chocolate ganache filling in the middle (it's a layer cake) and since on your birthday, all wishes are granted, it means I actually have to make a small effort with something - who does he think he is???  😉

Once that is done, I have to pick up a couple of things for gifts. I ordered them online a couple of weeks ago, and had them sent to the store, thinking that would be convenient, because I could just pick them up when I was out doing other stuff. So of course they didn't arrive until today, so I'll have to retrieve them. Then I will have to wrap them up and we'll be all set. We're going out to dinner tonight, which both of us are looking forward to. It's a place we haven't been to for a long time, and they have wonderful mussels cooked in white wine, which is what he wants to get. I would like to get that, but in my old age have developed a severe allergy to mussels, so I will see what else is on the menu. Then we'll come home and do cake and presents with the kitties. We're curious to see how/what Alfie does, since this is the first "big" event he's been around to celebrate with us.

Then this weekend, I'll take a look at the gift list for Christmas and my nieces' birthdays, and see how we're doing. I think we're covered for the most part, but anything that still needs to be bought/made/organized will want to be take care of now rather than in a couple of weeks. When I do it this way, or even a week or so earlier, it usually means we have an enjoyable, stress-free time during the holiday season, which is the whole point, right??

The Tim is baking some bread this weekend, because he likes to cut a loaf into croutons and let it get stale so we can use it for stuffing. (To me, this is too much work just to get stale bread for croutons, etc. But I'm not the one doing it, and I must admit that that bread he makes (olive/rosemary bread) does add something to the stuffing in the end.) 

So I'd better move along and get started with the things I want to accomplish today. Can you believe that Thanksgiving is next Thursday? For some reason, I always think I have more time before it arrives - or maybe I want it to take its time getting here so I can enjoy it ...

In any case, it's time to sign off. I hope your weekend is enjoyable in whatever way you'd like it to be. I'll "see" you next week!

 

8 comments:

Nance said...

Happiest of Birthdays to Tim.
I really want some of the bread he bakes. It sounds absolutely wonderful.

Araignee said...

Happy birthday to Tim!!! Chocolate ganache sounds awfully good. I've seen people make it but never tried it.

Dee said...

Happy birthday, Tim!


And, happy Thanksgiving to you all. Bring on the pizza!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Happy Birthday to the Tim!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kim in Oregon said...

Happy birthday! It sounds like it will be wonderful!

J said...

I hope The Tim had a wonderful birthday! I adore mussels in white wine, and will generally order that if it is on the menu, especially if it is served with crusty bread or french fries. Yum!

That stuffing sounds amazing. I would almost go buy some olive rosemary bread and make some stuffing myself, but I've already bought stove top and I am far too lazy. Maybe next year.

Kym said...

I hope the birthday celebration was wonderful, Bridget! And what a great way to usher in the holidays . . . with birthday cake and much happiness. (Tom's birthday comes in the run-up to Christmas -- on Dec 20th -- and I always try to make it special. Those birthdays close to Christmas can be challenging, though . . . ) I can't wait to see what Alfie makes of all the hoop-la . . . XO

karen said...

Happiest birthday to your Tim and may he have many many healthy happy years!!