13 December 2022

Busy At Work, Busy At Home

Well, as we get closer to both Hanukkah and Christmas, things at the yarn shop are really heating up - for instance, yesterday was Monday, which is generally a quiet day with maybe 10-12 customers throughout the day. Instead, the only chance I had to sit and think for even a minute was while I ate my lunch! It was crazy, and really has been since the week before Thanksgiving. But I would say the "fever pitch" level has arrived - you know the Oh-my-I-forgot-to-start-knitting-my-45-gifts, or the I-know-they-like-to-knit/crochet-so-I'll-buy-them-yarn people. I'm not complaining as it makes the days at work fly by, and it's keeping me employed, but it is getting pretty crazy.

Then of course there is all the stuff to do at home, which is going much more slowly than usual, since my evenings are both short (I don't get home until after 6pm, and by the time we eat dinner, clean up, etc., it's already about 8pm), and I'm usually too beat to do anything. So it's a slower process this year, which is fine, but in some ways a bit disappointing. But I know I'll get a lot done on my days off, so no worries that we'll all be ready. 😊

This past Saturday, I pulled out some of the Christmas decorations, and Alfie had his first encounter with the music box that has Santa and the reindeer going around as the music plays:


As you can see, he was *very* interested. But about two seconds later, a bird landed on the windowsill, so the whole music box experience was history ...

Also on Saturday was the Army-Navy football game here in Philadelphia. So we went out onto the deck to see the Navy planes flyover when the game started. (Which was of course very cool!) But we also saw this, which we found highly amusing:


Last spring, we had the trees in our garden pruned, and they cut off the top of a very tall, very large holly tree. Well, Saturday was a cool but very sunny day, and this squirrel apparently decided that the top of the cut off tree was a good spot for sunbathing! The Tim pointed out that most people have an angel on top of their tree this time of year, it figures we would have a squirrel ... 😄

Over the weekend, I mailed out the Christmas cards I'd prepared, which pleased me since last year I never got around to it. But something happened for the first time ever this year - I ended up not having enough cards to send! There were about 10 people left on my card list, but I was out of cards, which has never happened to us before. And stores nearby were pretty wiped out of any selection. So apologies to those who might usually get a card - I'll definitely scope things out after the holidays and prepare for next year.  

And that's all the news from us. I hope all of you are having a good Christmastime and holiday season, and any squirrels in your trees are also outside!

6 comments:

Araignee said...

Daughter said she had a terrible time finding cards this year. Like everything else I've got quite a stash of them from years past. I always bought more than I needed which has come in handy for those surprise cards you get that you hadn't planned on but need to reciprocate. I had to get two out today for a co-worker and the mailman.
I love the idea of a squirrel on top of the tree. Now I need to go find a squirrel ornament.

KSD said...

Got my card today --- perfect and SO from you.

Kym said...

Oh, I can just imagine the whirlwind you must be experiencing at the yarn shop! Crazy times, I'm sure! I love to see Alfie with the music box. He is such a love! XO

Dee said...

I ran into that same problem. Very disorganized with my cards this year. I promise next year to do better. (Sorry . . .)

We look forward to the flyover (on TV), but they didn't show the Apache helicopter. They did mention there was one. Steve worked on the Apache program when we lived in Orlando. So, they are kind of close to our hearts.

So far, all of our squirrels have stayed outside. (Thank goodness .... no Christmas Vacation squirrels here.)

Ellen D. said...

You can just send a note on plain paper if you have run out of cards. Or print that photo of your sweet cat with the Santa tree and that would work. You don't have to send store-bought cards! Make it easy on yourself and still enjoy the holidays! :)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I certainly do not miss my days of working pre-Christmas retail. Though I might have enjoyed it more at a yarn store.
I love you holly squirrel - looks like the king of the castle up there.
My foxy squirrel has disappeared, but we now have a black one with a white tip on his tail I'm trying to make friends with.