29 December 2022

FO Post: Amanda's Christmas Gift

Hello all! I hope your week has been going well. My work week is over, and I'm glad for that. Today is my niece Amanda's birthday, so I thought I'd (finally) do an FO post for her Christmas gift.

You may remember it all started here:


And then I started, only after I'd made progress, realizing that I had inadvertently switched the colors; but I kept going, because Amanda's favorite color is pink, so it all works out. 😊


Project: Amanda Needs A Martini
Pattern: Martini Party Shawlette, by Erika Flory (Rav link)
Yarn: Plucky Feet, by the Plucky Knitter. Pink colorway is Cosmo, green colorway is Appletini.
Needles: US size 5
Modifications: Only swapping the colors inadvertently!


Blocking with Pat's hat

 
Folded and ready to go!

Notes: I've had this yarn and pattern for years, as part of a kit that came in a subscription to some club or another that I no longer remember. But I remember that when I got it and saw the names of the pattern and the yarns, I thought it would be perfect for Amanda, who is a martini lover. And finally this year, I got to knitting it.

The yarn is lovely to work with - no splitting, no tangles, and very soft. The pattern is really well-written, and fun to knit once you get the hang of it. 

I was so pleased that I finished it in mid-November, in plenty of time to send for Christmas. Did I remember to take an FO photo? Why no! This of course I only realized once it was in the mail. Sigh.

So I asked Amanda to take a photo of it for me once she said the package was opened. So yes, it's a bit wrinkled because it was folded in the package for a while, but here it is in completed form:


Christmas morning, we got this photo with a text that said, "We love our Christmas gifts!"


It doesn't get much better than that when you give knitted gifts. ❤

I think you could do a lot with this pattern, as far as color combinations, and you of course could also make it larger; but I like the small cozy size of it, and think it would be comfy on its own or under a coat/jacket.

So it's all good - and as an extra bonus, it was in my stash, so I was able to reduce the size of that - win-win!

P.S. Never fear - I also sent Amanda a birthday gift. December birthdays always get a separate birthday gift from me, because that is how I think it should be.

5 comments:

Dee said...

I'd say they liked their gifts, eh? Those are some pretty happy faces.

Araignee said...

What a beautiful shawl-and those are some great winter colors. Everyone needs a pop of bright colors come January when everything looks so drab. I just bought the yarn for a bright pink cowl. Now I need to find the time and motivation to cast it on. I love that hat too. I'm very impressed that your stripes stayed so nice and stripey.

kayT said...

Thanks for calling my attention to this pattern! I love your colors and I really like the finished project and I do think it will be my first start in 2023.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That's fantastic! Though I'm partial to pink and green together!

Kym said...

The shawl turned out wonderfully, Bridget! I love the color-combo (so much!). The hat is also fabulous. So nicely done. (And . . . we have 2 December birthdays around here -- Tom on the 20th and Lauren on the 1st. Neither of them has ever received "two-fer" gifts . . . .like ever in their lives. Which makes me happy.) XO