04 August 2017

Old Photo Friday - Early August Edition

In one of Kathy's recent Q&As, she asked if we had a favorite summer photo.  I had stuff going on that week, and never got around to posting responses to that Q&A, but I immediately thought of the photo below.  I've posted it before, but it never ever ever ceases to amuse me.


I don't know what the initials on the caption stand for, but this was taken at the pool in Oglebay Park, which is a GORGEOUS municipal park and resort in my hometown of Wheeling, West Virginia, in 1938.  The woman on the far left who looks annoyed is .... you guessed it, my mom!  I love this picture because she looks so annoyed, while the others all look like they are enjoying being at the pool.  When I would ask her why she had this expression on her face, the answer was always some version of: "Oh for God's sake, how the hell do I know, it was a long time ago."  (Said in an *extremely* indignant tone.)

I think I love this photo because I find it so amusing, but also because it captures the essence of my mother - she loved to have a good time, but was easily annoyed.

Not that it is like anyone *I* can think of ... ;-)

Have a great weekend, even if others are annoying.

9 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That's a very fun photo!

Bonny said...

Great photo! I can understand her annoyance, possibly due to having to wear a bathing cap. (She might be holding one?) I remember far too well the pain, pulling, and aggravation of having to wear one when I swam as a child, but males could just jump right in. Hope your weekend is free of annoyances and aggravation!

Tired Teacher said...

Love the photo and your Mom's response!

Vera said...

Oh what a great picture! Love it. The bathing suits crack me up.

Anonymous said...

The lady in the white suit looks a little annoyed too. Maybe they are just tired of all the silliness of teenage girls and are having none of it!!!

elns said...

Great photo! And YES! Your mother is the one that makes it so, the contrast is excellent. I would've been great friends with your mother because that is exactly how my family would describe me. They would also barb me a bit by saying I'm nicer to other people than them. It really is surprising I even like coming home most of the time, ha!

Kym said...

What a fabulous photo! I love seeing old photos of my mom and her pals when they were girls. Their personalities just shine right through! Love it. XOXO

Araignee said...

Love those bathing suits....that was when you could go swimming without feeling weird about showing off things you would rather not show.

karen said...

I wonder what your mom was thinking? I have photos of me at the age of 12 looking so miserable. I cannot remember why I was feeling that way. I just know I felt all the feels intensely!!