04 October 2019

Random Friday Stuff

Hooray Friday!  Hooray cooler weather!

I hope you have had a good week, or at a minimum, survived so that you can enjoy the weekend.  We had what I hope will be our last miserable day here and now it's feeling like fall!  That alone makes me happy, but add it to an upcoming weekend, and it's all good.

Anyway.

Various things have struck me this week, and because I just *knew* you would want to know what they were, I'm here to share.  What can I say, I'm a giver ...

1.  OK, I'll admit that people and their weddings make me wonder a lot of the time, but I am generally in the minority.  Having said that, I think this is something that more generous folks than I would also think was just plain weird (and I'm being nice calling it that, just so you know).  I'm not generally someone who looks for subtext in things, but this screams so many things to me.  And I am not a psychologist/psychiatrist, nor do I play one on TV ...

2.  This is a really interesting little video that tells you so much about the Seeing Eye Dogs and the program, just in a few minutes (and yes, I realize it's the New York Post, but this is an exception).  For anyone who hasn't been reading for that long, our dog Hamlet is a retired Seeing Eye Dog.  :-)

3.  A former meterologist at a local news station has a DIY channel on YouTube.  I have watched a few of them, and some are of particular interest to me, and I think she does a good job presenting them, for the most part.  I found this one particularly intriguing.  I thought it was going to involve arm-knitting, but it doesn't.


Personally, I think this looks like a lot of work - but maybe since I know how to knit, it seems that way to me.  I did find it interesting that one comment said something about how the commenter would love to do this, but didn't have the patience - how often has someone said that to you about knitting?

4.  I thought this story involving knitting was just lovely.  People can be kind.

5.  A woman follow on Twitter posted this, and it made me laugh:

"Yes I gave birth, but I haven't bought those little month numbers and laid my child next to them like a tiny, happy crime scene victim and taken a picture of that and posted it to Instagram so in that sense I am not a mother."

First of all, "a tiny, happy crime scene victim" will now and forevermore how I think of babies in those photos because I find it hilarious.  Second of all, as you can well imagine, the responses were largely people telling her how selfish she is because that is important, relatives love it, time goes quickly, blah blah blah.  Because why should she do things her way, right?  It reminds me of my friend Lisa, who had twins and was sick of people telling her to get their photo with Santa.  So she did it, but the boys were wearing onesies with a bear on fire on them in the photo.  Which I found highly amusing, but others found appalling.  (Just so you know, the twins are now 13 and at least as of today, have not become serial killers.)

6.  Wednesday I took the Koodle to the vet for his checkup and shots.  He of course was not pleased, because a) he is the Koodle, b) he hates the cat carrier, and c) it was the vet's office.  Fortunately, he got a clean bill of health, but you will be pleased to know that in true Koodle fashion he found a subtle yet clear way to let me know he was not happy with the whole series of events.  How did he do this, you may ask?  He took a project bag (fortunately recently emptied) off of a table and dragged it to the litter box and peed on it.  In short, Koodle: 1, Me: 0.

7.  And finally, I forgot to post this picture until now.  My great-niece Penn had her first day of kindergarten this year, and every time my niece tried to take her picture, her little brother Oden had to get in on the action.   After a while she gave up, and so here are Penn and Oden on Penn's first day of kindergarten.


It cracks me up that he is so pleased about it. 

*****

Not much is going on this weekend with us.  I have some plans to work on a couple of things around the house, but otherwise nothing specific.  I'm looking forward to just enjoying the nice weather, knitting, reading, hanging out at home, and maybe even doing some baking.  

See you next week - I hope you enjoy your weekend as well!

10 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Is it wrong that I really want to see a picture of those onsies with the bear on fire?

Dee said...

I'm with Val ................bears on fire! Bears on fire!

P.S. The photo with Penn and Oden is adorable. They should pose them that way every year to see how each grows.

Have a GREAT weekend.

Bonny said...

I caved to pressure from relatives and took Ryan for his first picture with Santa when he was two months old. Three seconds before the photographer snapped the picture, he spit up copious amounts of milk so that is the photo we ended up with. Ryan was not happy nor was Santa, and I would have greatly preferred bears on fire. I think both Penn and Oden look great!

Shirley said...

I laughed thru most of your post! Really, your project bag ended up in the litter box. I think Koodle gets two points for that. The photo with Penn and Oden is just adorable. How sweet that her brother insisted on being in the photo. I have seen those chunky knitted blankets but I always wonder how you can launder the blanket. I live in a world where washable is a requirement. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Our fall weather arrives tomorrow. Today will be a few degrees cooler than the 100 degrees yesterday in NC. Then tomorrow - mid 70s.

Kim in Oregon said...

Such a cute picture, and absolutely adore those names! Penn and Oden!

Jessie Cat will pee directly on me when she's pissed, so consider yourself lucky.

Araignee said...

Pee? Litter box? Project? I never thought I'd see those words in the same sentence. Lol.....

kathy b said...

Okay Yup they are crime scene photos . WE took monthly photos but for US. NOT because we thought the world wanted to see a bit more chubby, a bit more hair, another yawn....just for us!

Mereknits said...

Absolutely everything has to be a photo shoot these days, I find it so annoying. Pregnant mothers out in wheat fields, crime scene photos of children as they grow, I love that one. Every moment is so picture perfect. I felt like a Mack truck when I was pregnant, I was sick, tired and looked that way. No flowing dress with me hugging my belly while the wheat gently swayed in the breeze around me.

Lorette said...

I’ve had pet/knitting mishaps over the years, but never once has a cat dragged anything to the litter box and peed on it. That made me laugh out loud!

Nance said...

This was such a great post in so many ways. And the comments were stellar as well.

Meredith and I are on the same page with the whole Carefully Curated Lifestyle, Look At Me social media crap. I'm over it, and I don't even have a social media account! I'm just tired of hearing about it, especially on THE NEWS.

And add me to the fans of the Bears On Fire.

Holy crap. All of this is just The Best.