25 January 2021

My Word for 2021

I hope you had a good weekend.  Ours was quiet, mostly because I had an outpatient medical procedure on Friday morning, and though I didn't feel horrible, I was pretty sore and somewhat fuzz-brained most of the time.  Not that we had any plans, which was a good thing in the end.

Last year, it took me a while to figure out my word for the year, but then one day something inspired me, and my word - attend, as in to "attend, pay attention" - ended up serving me well.  This year, I felt a bit uninspired, but decided to poke around and see if anything stuck with me.  I even did one of those take-this-quiz-for-help-with-your-word things, and didn't like the result.  Then one day, I was looking through a list of words that were supposed to provide inspiration, and one of them jumped out at me:

forward

As soon as I saw it, I thought "that's it!" and then decided to sit with it for a while before making my final decision.  But I haven't found a word that I like better, and I want this year to be one where I - well. where all of us - can go forward.  Things are still not really great for any of us, but we made progress in our government leaders, we now have a few different vaccines for Covid that are available (even if not easily available at the moment) - forward can be small steps as well as giant leaps.

In addition, I hope to go forward with other things - last year, I learned a few new-to-me knitting techniques, and I hope to learn more this year.  I want to try and just do more things, or at least try them, instead of only thinking about it.  

I think if I can just remember that my word is forward, I'll be fine.  Because even though I have been making more of an effort in the past few years to live in the present while I'm in it, "forward" does not mean ignoring that - to me, it means being ready and willing to find out what's next.

8 comments:

Vera said...

Good for you! I'm not doing a word this year. I've done one for the past several years and then I completely ignore them and never talk about them again! I like your choice of FORWARD.

karen said...

that is a fantastic word and it's full of promise :)

AsKatKnits said...

I like this word! It is full of promise! :)

Dee said...

That's a good word.

KSD said...

Oh, wow --- the "forward" graphic chokes me up.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love it!

Kim in Oregon said...

Most excellent word. I'm practicing mine, grace, today.

Araignee said...

I like that. I feel stuck in a rut at the moment and need some forward momentum.