18 January 2021

MLK Day 2021

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." 

 -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Even as a little kid, this quote struck me.  I think of it often, not just on this particular day when we celebrate Dr. King's birthday as a national holiday.  I think part of what always made me stop and think about it was that even then, I realized that the "content of their character" was how everyone should be judged.  

God knows we have had plenty of examples of people with the "right" color of skin (ugh) showing themselves to have no content of character over the past few years.  

In any case, I too hope that Dr. King's words will someday prove true, and I also firmly believe that to get there, we need to follow the saying, "If you want peace, work for justice."

I firmly believe we can do this, that we can bring ourselves, our communities, and our country back to a place where the everyday is just that - plain, old everyday.  Where we can go about our lives being kind to others, but also remembering that we are all deserving of basic humanity.  We can work for justice, and for those who think this can only be done in a hugely public way, I have news for you: working for justice can be as public or as private as you want to make it, it's all up to you.  Yes, you can march, join a demonstration, or attend public gatherings where you can make your voice heard.  But you can also work behind the scenes, you can write a letter to your representatives, you can volunteer in your community, you can simply even just make sure that those you see every day, that your own neighbors are treated as well, and have the same chances that you do - and if they don't, do something about it.  

It's hard and it can be messy and sometimes discouraging and people may dismiss you as a "hippie dippy type," but who cares?  Prove your own content of character and make sure that people see that.  

And yes, we can concentrate on it today, but it should be part of our everyday.


9 comments:

Nance said...

Agreed. Social justice, like kindness, starts within and at home. "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Now more than ever, it's important that the USA shows the world that we are not all like the far right extremist bigots who tried to destroy our country. We can each do that in ways that are peaceful and kind, yet strong and powerful.

Ellen D. said...

You are so right, Bridget! There are many kind, compassionate people in the world. We hear about the haters but we need to focus on the helpers. "The world can be a better place...put a little love in your heart"!
Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!
Peace!

KSD said...

When I was in middle school. we had a school-wide assembly where Dr. King's entire speech was played. I'd never heard it all before, and it gave me goosebumps. Just the memory of it still does.

kathy b said...

I believe you are correct!!

Caffeine Girl said...

That speech is brilliant and moving beyond words.
As a teacher in an urban school, I am saddened by how little progress we have made since he uttered those words. The gap between our white students and our students of color is heart-breaking.

Araignee said...

What a lovely post. My first graders used to love Dr. King. Every January when our Weekly Reader would come with his photo on the cover I knew teaching Social Studies was going to be a breeze. The same kids who couldn't remember where their coat was could recite that part of his speech like it was their phone number.

AsKatKnits said...

Those words have stayed with me as well. They are quite profound in the aftermath of the 6th of January.

Kym said...

I, too, get tingles whenever I hear Dr. King's speech. The ALL of it. Progress is far too slow. We need to buckle down and work harder . . . (It'll also be helpful to have a President in office who won't be moving us in the wrong direction.)

kathy b said...

Yes!!! Love this post