09 February 2021

Back to a Tiny Needle for Tiny Needle Tuesday

Last week, I decided I was ready to start my next counted cross-stitch project.  I had already gathered everything together an put it in one place, so that when I felt ready, I could just get going.

So last Monday, I sat down and got started.  And then started again.  And then another time.  And then I put it away, deciding that I would see how I felt about it on Stitchy Saturday (my own name for Saturdays if I work on any needlework).

I was in the mood on Saturday, and keeping in mind what I had done on Monday, I forged ahead.  The project I'm making should eventually look like this (or at least close to it):


Last year, I happened upon Floss Toss, a video podcast with Rachel from Treehouse Knits, and Sue from Legacy Fiber Artz.  They started a Flosstube (which is apparently what cross-stitch podcasts are called), and one of them - I forget which one - had made this, and I just loved it.  So I looked it up and purchased the pattern, fabric, and floss after checking I didn't already have any of the colors.  I've had it for a little while, but was finally ready to start stitching!

I had decided to start with the snowflakes at the top.  Easier said than done for me, because even though the fabric was not snowy white, it was still not that much darker than the white thread.  Since I realized what had happened on Monday, when I wasn't really prepared for that, things went better on Saturday.  I got two of the snowflakes done in the morning, and three in the afternoon.  And no, they are not perfect, but they are done and they look like snowflakes to me.

You can see them here in my Instagram post.  I think I'll do OK now, at least for a while, because the white sections left will have a lot more area, and I'll wait to do them until the other parts are complete.  That's the plan, at least.

It's a large-ish project - well, larger than my most recent one anyway - so I think it will take me a while, but that's fine with me.  I kinda like knowing it will be there waiting for me when I feel like giving it some love.

10 comments:

Vera said...

Cute pattern Bridget! Have fun with it.

Araignee said...

I love it! I hear you with the white. It's why it took me so long to get that snowman done. I hate stitching with white. I couldn't wait to get to the heart underneath him only to find out it was WHITE too. Ugh.

AsKatKnits said...

That is too cute! (I did a wee sheep with a prayer for Vivi some years ago, this might be the perfect "next thing" for her!)

steph said...

Very cute!!! Counted cross stitch was such a big part of my crafty life when the kids were little (did shop models for Ginny Thompson originals, and that was fun) and then I guess I moved on; now I'm not sure I have more than a bookmark or pincushion left. Always enjoy seeing these news designs and what people are doing with them!!!

Dee said...

That is ADORABLE!

Nance said...

Adorable stitch project. Who doesn't love a sheep in a sweater?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That is so cute!

KSD said...

Pretty as the design is, it's the color palette that I really like.

Kim in Oregon said...

That's so cute! I WANT IT!

kathy b said...

it is beautiful . I love the stand. and the snow on the very top!!!