01 February 2021

Cinnamon Rolls, a Sock, a Book, and a Nor'easter

Hello from very snowy Philadelphia!  Phase 1 of the nor'easter snowstorm we are supposed to get is winding down right now, so that Phase 2 - which is supposed to be the "real" one - can move in this afternoon.  When Hamlet and I went out for our very early morning walk today, there was about 2 inches on the ground, and we were more or less the first ones to walk in it on our street.  It was nice, soft, dry snow, so we enjoyed it while we could, because right now, the infamous "Wintry Mix" is occurring, to be followed by heavy snow, which probably means that tomorrow morning will be like ice skates.  Ugh. Why does Wintry Mix even ever have to happen???

Anyway, it was nice this a.m., and Hamlet was so joyous!  He ate some of the new snow, he ran around, and when we got back to our street, I took his leash off and said, "OK, Hammy - home for breakfast!" and he seriously gamboled down the street until he got to our stoop.  I love seeing him that happy.

So - have you ever heard/seen a friend do something, and it just sticks with you until you give it a try yourself?  Well, a couple of weeks ago, a friend posted on Facebook some photos of some cinnamon rolls she had made.  We both love cinnamon rolls, and I just thought to myself that I had to try and make some - even though I'm not much of a bread/roll/pastry baker.  But it was in my brain, and I decided that I would make them this past Friday.  With all of the various steps and letting the dough rise, etc., it took the better part of the day, but oh was it worth it!  They are truly delicious, and I will definitely make them again!  I completely forgot to take any photos, but I used this recipe, if you want to try some yourself.  Highly recommended.

On Saturday, I finished my first sock of 2021 - not a pair, just a single sock, a HO if you will:


I call these Happy Socks, both for the colors, but also because I started them on Inauguration Day.  It's just a 2x2 twisted rib cuff, a pattern of k2, slip 1 for a round and then just knit on the next round for the leg, and then a plain foot.  I like the way it looks, and I will probaby start Sock #2 today or tomorrow.  I probably won't be keeping these for myself, though that could change.  But I want to try and knit things that I just want to make this year, and if I am not immediately wanting it with all of my heart, I'll put them in a box for gifts or to donate.

Also on Saturday, I started reading this book:


It takes place primarily in Philadelphia during the 1918 flu epidemic, and is really a good read, while also being terribly sad.  There are also so many similarities to the current pandemic that it was interesting for that reason too.  I finished it yesterday!  

The other thing that struck me was the cover, which is a winter scene of Philadelphia as seen from Logan Square.  The Logan Square Fountain is in the forefront, and to the left in the image is the tower of City Hall; then to the right is the Pennsylvania Railroad building.  If you stood where the woman in the image is standing today, you would see the exact same thing!  I just love that.

So it was a very cold but very lovely weekend.  When Hamlet and I went out yesterday afternoon, the nor'easter was just getting underway; when he and The Tim went out last night, there was probably about an inch on the ground.  So really overnight we didn't get that much more, but it was so nice to wake up this morning and go out for a walk in it, before everyone else was up and whining about it.  

Today's plan is to start the sleeves on the sweater I'm knitting, start a new book, and see how the day unfolds.  It's the first day of February, so a new month has started with all of the new possibilities to be revealed.  

I hope you are well, and if you are getting snow, I hope it won't be in any way harmful to you and yours, and that you don't lose power or anything.  Otherwise, enjoy a wintry day and stay cozy!

12 comments:

Vera said...

We've been having sleet all morning (it's now 11:45 a.m.), so it is a mess outside. Thank goodness neither of us has to go out (and no dogs to walk either - it would be treacherous out there!). I love your sock and the pattern sounds like fun - I may need to copy. My girlfriend Carol would love the colors in those socks. I read that book last year (I think) and was struck by the parallels to the current pandemic. I enjoyed the book.

Dee said...

I bought that book BECAUSE of the cover. I really enjoyed reading it. I'd love to find more fiction books with a Philadelphia setting.

I haven't been out much in the snow. I swept the sidewalk a few times yesterday, but have been in all of today.

Hope Hamlet enjoyed his breakfast. Mr. G. has been sleeping most of the day. He totally skipped lunch.

Araignee said...

Our snow event turned to rain so it's a slushy mess out there. I didn't get my sleigh ride down the driveway from this storm but I'll live.
My son's in-laws sent us a box of cinnamon rolls from a baker for Christmas and they were amazing. I can't go to Ikea without getting a bun. They aren't as good as they used to be there but they are still good.

Kym said...

UGH to the Wintry Mix. We had quite a bit of snow over the weekend, but won't be impacted by the big storm y'all are having. So glad you and Hamlet got to walk in the "fresh stuff" this morning! Fresh snow is so magical. Stay warm and snug, Bridget. (And fresh-baked cinnamon rolls are THE BEST.) XO

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Ive only made cinnamon rolls once and they weren't great. I should try again one day.
Those are VERY happy socks. I just love the colours!
Stay warm!

AsKatKnits said...

Thankfully we avoided that "wintry mix" bit of the weather, but 8 inches of snow was so much fun to shovel... not! lol Sherman loves that fluffy snow too! Animal Joy might be the best thing ever! :)

Caffeine Girl said...

I love snow but hate wintery mix. It is downright dangerous! I stay inside.
Thanks for the recipe recommendation. I have heard that the King Arthur recipes are very good.

Nance said...

DOGS IN SNOW--it's just the Best. I like when they use their muzzles like a plow.

Your sock looks like Easter and Springtime. It really is a happy sock.

Ellen D. said...

Lots of snow for us over the weekend but all has been shoveled and plowed out of the way so now there are pretty mounds of sparkling snow in my yard waiting to melt when it warms up again. Lovely to look at as long as I don't have to move any more of it!
Stay safe and warm!

KSD said...

I wish I could trust Tap to run where he was supposed to when unleashed. . .

Envying your snow. It's just cold here. *pfft*

kathy b said...

That is a fantastic first sock! LOVE It . We are getting snow and snow and more snow. I don't mind.

Karen W said...

Thanks for the recipe! Love King Arthur. We have easily gotten a foot of snow up here in the sticks, but today my work is closed, the shoveling is done, and I will be enjoying some reading and knitting. Best of all I am knitting with yarn dyed to the theme of a favorite book, A Little Princess, which just makes me unreasonably happy. Be well!