09 September 2021

Small Acts of Courage Shouldn't Be So Difficult

Before I say anything else, thank you so much for your very kind comments about my finished summer top!  It is one of my most favorite things I've ever made, and to say I'm thrilled with the result is an understatement.  When The Tim first saw it after it was finished and I tried it on, he said, "That looks great - it's like it was made for you!" and then about a minute later said, "Oh yeah ... it was.  Anyway."  Which made me laugh.  Thank you for taking the time time say you liked it.  😊

Today is Three on Thursday, so I have decided to participate.  And my topic is not knitting-related, but there you go.  You have likely noticed the title of this post - or if not, you have now.  I am going to talk about three small acts of courage - or lack thereof - from my recent experience, and why they should not be so hard for people.



1.  In a recent department meeting, I asked a question about something, and it started with the phrase, "Could you offer any ideas to why the committee decided ...," and our boss responded, and I quote: "Well, Bridget, maybe it's because none of them are as stupid as you are." I will admit to being shocked and struck dumb.  And my co-workers said ... nothing.  Now, moving beyond how it was inappropriate in the first place for him to say that, that fact that no one said ANYTHING at all, then or afterwards, is upsetting to say the least.  A friend was being generous and said that a) maybe they are afraid of him saying that to them, so they said nothing, and b) maybe they said nothing to me because they were embarrassed or felt bad.  All I can say is, if you are ever in a similar situation, please speak up somehow.  Anything at all said by anyone else would have made a difference to me.  (P.S. I have complained to HR, who have told me that since it was said and not in writing, there is not proof, so they cannot do anything.  So apparently my co-workers have blocked it out and when asked said nothing or that it never happened.)

2.  In a similar vein, at a department meeting yesterday, the boss said that he felt that none of us should attend monthly section meetings because "we don't need to spend an hour that way."  Then he said, "I am guessing none of you have an issue with that."  So I spoke up and said that I did, and it was valuable because it gave us a chance to interact with our colleagues in our section that we don't necessarily see or talk to otherwise.  By the end of the discussion, three out of four of us had said that we wanted to continue going to the meetings, because we found them useful and since attendance is voluntary anyway, anyone who doesn't want to go is not obliged to do so.  After which the boss said, never mind, we could attend if we chose to.  When the meeting was over, the other two people who talked thanked me, and said they would not have spoken up if I hadn't.  And I knew that he would probably be annoyed when I spoke, but I felt strongly we should be able to participate in the meetings, and knew that if I didn't speak up, no one else probably would.  There are four people (including me) in our department: one person NEVER wants to disagree with anyone or stand up for herself ever, one person is the favorite who can do no wrong whatever, one person is often the victim of his wrath, and depending how recent it has happened, either does speak up or not, and then there is me.  It's not easy for me to speak up, because at the most I have one other person who might offer support; also, I know that our boss is not overly fond of me.  But I strongly believe that if something matters to you, you should state your case, even if it might not be agreeable to the boss.

3.  Non-work-related (aren't you glad??), is my third example.  There is a neighbor on our street who is always calling out others for not sweeping their sidewalk, not putting their trash out "the right way," and/or so many other things that are in no way a problem for anyone else.  We do not, for example, have a homeowner's association that has specific rules.  Sure, the city wants trash in receptacles, not just strewn on the street or sidewalk, but this particular neighbor wants everyone to use a certain type of thing for it "so that it all matches."  (Because you know how trash collectors enjoy uniform looking trash.)  One of his big gripes is that people who don't live on our street park their cars on our street.  First of all, we live in the middle of the city.  In order to park at all and not get ticketed, you have to have a decal that you purchased from the city for your zone in order to park legally for more than a certain amount of time.  Needless to say, parking spaces can be difficult to find.  Sometimes the gods smile upon you, and you find a place on your street; sometimes you are three blocks away.  Anyway, this neighbor started a petition to take to the city to make it illegal to park on our street unless you lived there.  Everyone was talking about how ridiculous it was, and trying to avoid the guy altogether so they wouldn't "have" to sign it.  We had a block party a few weeks ago, and said neighbor brought the petition for everyone to sign.  At which point, The Tim - who seldom interacts with neighbors, much less speaks to them (but of course they all still think he is the "nice" one), told this neighbor why his petition was not a good idea.  Afterwards, no one was willing to sign the guy's petition, and though he left in a huff, everyone else kept complimenting The Tim for his "courage" in refusing to sign and saying why.

***

People, none of this should be that hard.  These are not life and death situations, these are situations where one person who is a bully is pushing their weight around and no one wants to speak up.  I understand why it is hard, but it shouldn't be.  With so much else going on in the world, and people being more than willing to speak out about the big stuff, why are the small acts of courage (it that is even what you can call them) so difficult?

Anyway, that is my rant o' the day.  I am not asking for sympathy nor congratulations, I'm just trying to point out that all of us should do our best to support each other when it can help or make a difference.  We all have to live and work together every day, regardless of how we feel personally about each other.  Wouldn't it be better if we could be more brave in small, everyday ways?  

If you have read this far, thank you for coming to my TED talk. 😉

13 comments:

Nance said...

Your boss is an ass and an authoritarian jerk. That remark created a hostile work environment right then and there.

Start a file with incidents. Include dates and times, names of people who were there. If he keeps it up, send him and HR a copy with a letter stating your concerns about how he behaves.

And shame on your coworkers.

Ellen D. said...

I am shocked that your boss would say something like that to you. I think you should start recording your meetings so you do have proof if it happens again. There is no excuse for your boss to speak that way. Like you, I am disappointed that no one else said anything.

Vera said...

WOW! Just WOW about your work situation. I am so sorry you work with such idiots!

Dee said...

I think it has gotten harder to "speak up". Those in opposition often take their cue from the last administration and turn it into a personal attack. But, I do agree, we should all be able to voice our opinion and stand up for what we believe in.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

You boss is definitely a bully and HR is 100% enabling him.
There's only one way to deal with someone like that... light his car on fire!!!!
In all seriousness though, - I believe the only way to deal with bullies is to show them you can't be cowed. Otherwise, the situation just gets worse. I agree with previous comments, start recording meetings/convos. If HR still refuses to do anything, you have two options - media and/or lawyers. His behaviour is 100% not ok, no ifs, ands or buts.

KSD said...

I am boiling. Your decision to keep going into work after what was said to you is an example of real courage.

Araignee said...

OMG....that is just..just...unfreaking believable. My daughter went through a thing like that with a bully boss and they ended up letting HER go instead of the guy that was out of line. He used to come in after hours and lay on her desk and ask her sexually explicit questions about her personal life. HR did nothing. After being fired she hired a lawyer and...nothing. She went to the VA human rights committee....nothing. It was 11 years ago and she just heard that they just now drug him before congress and fired him for gross negligence. 11 years and multiple woman complaining about him and it took that long. I was so proud of her for speaking up and not just walking away quietly. It was actually a blessing because that's what jump started her ice skating coaching business and she is doing very well and very happy to be her own boss.

Caffeine Girl said...

Your boss is out of control. Who says things like that? I'll tell you who: People who have no emotional intelligence and who think they know everything. I am so sorry you have to work for this person.
I was the person who spoke out at my school, and some of the administrators did not appreciate my comments. Luckily for me, schools are desperate for special education teachers so I didn't have to worry about losing my job.
You are right. We all need to speak out!

Anonymous said...

I am stunned. Bless you for being courageous enough to work there. Now start looking for another job. It is your power to leave. As a retired HR manager I am stunned by the response but if others were interviewed and did not collaborate their hands are tied. However make and take notes. State any witnesses. I fear for you. I was bullied in past. Complained and got moved but I worked in a huge location. The bully was not dealt with. I found another job and left. This led to better opportunities. Thankfully I am now retired. There are so many angry people I am sure no workplace is pleasant. I have limited my exposure to people so much since this pandemic began. Hugs to you
Cheryl aka seajaes

karen said...

Your boss is an idiot. Sorry you have to listen to him and his nonsense but it seems that higher ups tend to have less leadership skills. I live in a township where they contract with one garbage company and we are provided garbage cans (fancy pantsy) and it looks great AND it's just the same amount of money I spent when I lived in rural eastern PA. I love it and their prompt service.

kathy b said...

GOOD THOUGHTS BRIDGET. The great buddhist minds agree. Be compassionate. Even when it is difficult
I can bare1Y RE1ate to meetings. An ISCU Rn's we were running most days, from patient to patient. Time was crucial. Conditions changed constant1y. Errors we're never acceptable. Prioritizing changed from hour to hour. There we're no time for meetings. They TRIED to make us go to them, but we had no time.

WendyKnits said...

I'm sitting here in disbelief at what an uncontrolled jerk your boss is. Well, I totally believe he is a jerk, but am stunned that the idiot would actually say something like that in a meeting. And that your coworkers said NOTHING. In my office I am on a dysfunctional team, to the point that my "work husband" just left for another job, and I am retiring in 17 days. A week ago our supervisor was put on leave until he is being removed at the end of the month. But the damage was done. I have found that being on the verge of retirement is very freeing and I have not held back in letting leadership know exactly what is going on. Not that I ever really held back. :-P

Kym said...

Oh, Bridget. I am so sorry that you have to deal with such a bullying prick (there. I said it.) every day at work. When my daughter had a particularly awful, bullying boss . . . she took to recording her interactions on her phone. Just a thought . . . And I imagine you're already documenting such incidents thoroughly? HR is definitely not doing their job . . . because complaints like yours should be heard and noted and not just brushed off. I'm boiling mad on your behalf. And I'm sending all good work juju your way. XOXO