01 November 2017

Here We Go Again

Hello and Happy November and All Saints Day!  

We had some trick-or-treaters last night, which made me happy, but still not enough for my taste.  However, being that we had none last year, I was happy that was not repeated.

So Halloween 2017 is in the books, and here we are in November.  Today, as mentioned previously is my oldest sister Nancy's birthday - but not just *any* birthday, her 70th birthday!  A part of me feels bad, because I did nothing special to mark it.  I wanted to knit something for her, but a) she is a designer label fanatic, b) she lives in Southern California, and nothing immediately came to mind as appropriate for that,  and c) she is not a sock-, fingerless mitts- or shawl-wearer.  Anyway, I know she is having a fun week celebrating with her friends and family, so I'm sure she is enjoying it all.  :-)

This is also the first day of NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) for 2017.  I've participated the past couple of years, and though it can be a challenge to post every single day, I've enjoyed it, so I'm giving it another shot.  I have a few specific things planned out, but otherwise it will be a crap shoot surprise to all of us.

Today, I thought I'd join Kat in Unraveled Wednesdays, so yay for an automatic topic!  Let us continue.

Below you see sock #1 of my project for the I ♥ Fall KAL.  I am using the Little Pumpkins pattern, but I have re-christened this project Annoying Pumpkins.  If you are thinking of knitting these socks, my advice would be to Just Say No.

I didn't, and though you really can't see the stitch pattern in this photo, the first sock is finito.


I've already started the second sock, because I knew if I didn't get going on it right away, it wouldn't be happening.  This pattern is just way too fiddly for me, and though I love the result, I am not enjoying making these socks.  I love the yarn, and the color is perfect, but ... ugh.  Now it's personal though, so I WILL finish these socks, goddammit!

As for reading, I just started this book yesterday:


I'm only about 75 pages in, but so far it's interesting.  I also got a notice in my e-mail this a.m. that one of the books I requested from the library is ready for pick up, so hopefully that will be a good one too!

So that's the latest from me.  I hope your month is starting off well, and if all goes as planned, I'll see you here again tomorrow.  :-) 

17 comments:

Bonny said...

Thank you for the annoying pumpkin warning! Your sock does look lovely, but fiddly knitting is definitely not for me. Happy November/NaBloPoMo; I'm looking forward to the surprise/crap shoot!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I've knit a few socks like that... LOVE how they look, but actually making them was a nightmare.

We had more trick-or-treaters than we've had in years. Probably about 50 or 60, but still much less than a small survey like us should have.
We're in a complex of about 120 townhouses. All the houses are super close together, and it's a private road, so you don't have to worry about much traffic. When I was a kid, it would have been the perfect place to trick-or-treat - HUGE bang for your buck.
The kids these days seem to start super early though - I had kids knocking on my door just after 5 - we still had an hour of daylight left! At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old woman... we didn't start until it was almost dark... what's the fun in trick-or-treating when the sun is still up??? Nothing is spooky then! Not to mention - people need time to get home from work and have dinner! Gee!!!!!

sprite said...

I'm sorry you're not enjoying the pattern. It's definitely not been mindless knitting for me, but it hasn't been terrible. I mean, I'm not done with sock #2 yet, but that's more on me than the WiP, if you know what I mean.

We didn't get a ton of trick-or-treaters either. I've taken to sitting outside with my bowl of candy, because we live in a basement and no amount of signage will convince people that they should go bang on a basement door. So instead, I'm all like, "Come here, little girl/boy. I've got candy for you..."

Araignee said...

Naughty pumpkins are no fun. Thanks for the warning. I was just thinking about that pattern.

Tired Teacher said...

LOL - you need to show that sock pattern you're the boss of your yarn!

Looking forward to your daily posts.

Patty said...

Happy NaBloPoMo! And good for you...I probably would have bailed on the socks!

AsKatKnits said...

I am with Patty and would have bailed on those socks as well... naughty pumpkins! But, your sock is lovely! And, Happy Birthday to your sister, and Happy All Saints Day!

Judy S. said...

Thanks for the heads up on that pattern; it's one I have in a notebook somewhere. Yours looks great though. I'm sure with you on sock #2 thanks to the SSS problem. My nutkin 2 is coming along slowly, and we'll see whether it makes the deadline. There are some Christmas projects demanding my attention, however.

Kym said...

The socks look GREAT -- but I thank you for the 'annoying' warning. Life is just too short to knit fussy socks (or hats or mitts or anything!). Enjoy a lovely day -- and happy birthday wishes to your sister. XO

karen said...

hurrah for a first sock finished :) only one more unless you have three feet :)

Honoré said...

I have a sock on the needles...almost done and i really ought to a) finish it and b) start the second...thanks for the encouragement. Yours is a lovely color...Enjoy it!
Cheers~

Honoré said...

I have a sock on the needles - almost done with it and then, onto #2. Thanks for the encouragement. Love your sock's color! Enjoy your knitting.
Cheers~

Vera said...

Great yarn...sorry the pattern is such a pain. I will steer clear of that one. Happy b-day to your sister. Looking forward to your posts.

Nance said...

I've never published every single day in a month, ever. It seems an Impossibility to me. Each post takes me so long to write and fuss over; I'd never get anything else accomplished.

I'm simply going to try and post OFTENER this month. That will not be hard. ;-)

Caffeine Girl said...

Thanks so much for letting us know about a pattern to avoid! That is a gift to your fellow knitters.
I have that book on my bookshelf, so I'm very interested to hear what you have to say about it.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

The sock looks really nice but I know what you mean about fiddly sock patterns. There's nothing worse! I'm all about mindless knitting. ;-)

Mereknits said...

We had only a few visitors on Halloween, I bought way too much candy. Happy Birthday to your sister.