30 November 2017

Three Rewarding Things About Reaching a Goal


Even though I'm not surprised, I'm still surprised that today is the last day of NaBloPoMo 2017.  I'm not surprised, because of course I knew today's date; but I am surprised because this year I found the whole process somewhat more natural than before, so the realization that today was the last day of November and it was in no way awkward or impossibly difficult to post every day was a surprising one.

I used to be a person who set tons of goals for myself, most of them unrealistic.  But I was determined to force them to be realistic.  At a certain point, I realized that really isn't how it works, or how it's supposed to work.  So I adjusted my thinking and my decisions about what should/could/would be a goal for me.  There are still plenty I don't accomplish, but most of the time I've either gotten close or realized it wasn't a goal I was really interested in reaching.

Originally, I started blogging so that I could participate in swaps.  But I also enjoyed writing and posting pictures, even if for a long time it was only for my own reading.  Along the way, I ended up making lots of friends through my blog, and at this point, I think of it as just part of me.

So I managed to accomplish my goal of posting every day for a month.  And though there is no reward in the sense that most people think of it, it's still something I set out to do and was able to finish.  Which brings me to today's Three on Thursday post, Three Rewarding Things About Reaching a Goal.

1.  The feeling of success.  I'm a big believer in small things making a difference.  As I've mentioned before, I'm not a big joiner by nature.  And for some things (i.e., most KALs), the minute I decided to join, I lose all momentum to continue.  So regardless of whether my goal is to post here every day for 30 days, or to try and knit one fall-related item over the course of months, knowing I managed to do it and enjoy it is a really great feeling.

2.  The confidence boost.  As in, if you were able to reach Goal X, you just might want to give yourself another goal.  You did it this time, if you work at it (and are realistic), you just might do it again.

3.  The discipline.  Granted, there were no legal or other consequences if I missed or skipped a day.  Anything like that would be strictly self-inflicted.  But no one is better at beating me up than I am myself.  So making myself take the actual time to write something, post a photo, plan ahead, or even come up with an idea was good practice.  I am somewhat self-disciplined, but a lot of times if it's not something I absolutely have to do, I can easily justify skipping it altogether.  And especially if it's something I enjoy in the end, I'm always happy when I've made the effort.

So farewell to NaBloPoMo 2017, and thanks to everyone who also wrote a post for me to read/comment on, or who read/commented here.  It was nice to check in each day and see how things were going, and for my part, there were days when having several posts to read made all the difference in how that day turned out.

On to December!

10 comments:

Kym said...

What a lovely reflection on NaBloPoMo! The little things we do certainly add up to become Meaningful Things. It's been a pleasure to read your posts this month, Bridget! XO

Araignee said...

Congrats on making your goal! I blog everyday all year long and I admit sometimes it is a bit of a slog but I find it keeps me motivated and moving. I need goals too or I would sit and watch people doing fun things on You Tube all day.

Anonymous said...

Glad you got through November . . . it's a great feeling to meet a goal.

Now on to December and BLOGMAS!!! 30 days of CHRISTMAS posts. LOL

elns said...

This was really nice Bridget. "But no one is better at beating me up than I am myself." No, freaking kidding. I can relate to this quite a bit. I think I'm like you and I am grateful for the small things that I believe can be built in to something more. I think they help provide a balance when maybe other bigger? areas of life are struggling a bit. I can hold on to the small positive and move forward with it. Okay I'm rambling, sorry. Your post was nice.

Tired Teacher said...

I've enjoyed reading your posts this month.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

I like your point of view. Posting every day is an accomplishment.

Bonny said...

Every year I participate in NaBLoPoMo, I wonder why I do it. You've provided a good explanation with three rewards and reasons. I've enjoyed reading your posts; thank you!

AsKatKnits said...

Beautifully said! And, wait... Blogmas? Ha!

karen said...

we are a lot alike in our thinking. I am enjoying my success of going to the gym consistently. I am so lucky to have a trainer who is a perfect fit for me!

Jeannie Gray Knits said...

That's exactly my attitude about goals, except you said it way better than I ever could. By the end of NaBloPoMo, I was beginning to run out of things to talk about. It didn't help that I got sucked into knitting a secret thing with a crazy tight deadline that I couldn't talk about on the blog. But I survived, posted every day and admittedly, feel a little lost now that it's over.