20 October 2020

A Tiny Needle Tuesday FO

I really thought that my next stitching project was all set.  I even posted something about it on Instagram, got things organized, and then just wasn't feeling it.  So it will be my next Halloween's stitching project.  No harm, no foul, right?

But today for Tiny Needle Tuesday I have an FO to show you:


Yay, it's done and I am so happy with it!  As you can see, my counting for the border was wonky, so it's not actually centered properly, but I don't care at all.  I'm just really pleased with it.  I knew from the get-go that this could happen, because I am just someone who has a tendency to get thrown off when there is a lot of blank space in a counted cross stitch pattern.  I count, recount, and then count again, and it still happens.  Like years ago when I took a bookbinding class, and the teacher was aggravated because even using a ruler, I could not get things measured perfectly.  I felt really awful about it, thinking I was some kind of freak, until a co-worker told me that he had the same issues.  He'd started out as an engineering major, but could not draw a straight line the way it was supposed to be, even with a ruler - which, needless to say, is VERY important in engineering!

Anyway, this was a kit created a couple of years ago, by june bug and darlin, and sold through the Strand Bookstore.   As far as I know, they are no longer available, so sorry if you wanted one for yourself.


My original intention was to make this for my office at work, in our new renovated space.  And that is where it will end up, but right now it pleases me to see it on the bookcase in my craft room.  So I figure it will live at home until after the holidays, when I will put it away anyway to put out our decorations.  

Now I just need to decide what I want to do next.  It will probably not surprise you to know that I have several Christmas-themed projects that I could do ... 😉

12 comments:

Kym said...

What a sweet little sampler! :-)
I have a problem with counting, too. "Counting" bites me in the butt on many a project . . . but, oh well! It makes us flexible and adaptable. Can't wait to see what you stitch up next!

Vera said...

Nice finish! Congrats!!

Nance said...

I have never been able to draw a straight line, with or without a ruler. You should see me try to even wrap a gift. I avoid striped or plaid paper like the plague.

I love your sampler. It's perfect.

Dee said...

Very cute! I love the "turning" pages.

I think that is why I never liked machine sewing. I couldn't cut or sew straight lines.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I have a similar problem - if graph paper doesn't have the darker lines every five or 10 blocks, I get all messed up. I have to physcially write numbers in the blocks or I'm screwed. My eyes just double count, or merge blocks.

It's very cute though, and I think it's uniqueness makes it even more perfect!

Unknown said...

I love that. And you're right, the border is just fine.
I do tend to avoid patterns like this that involve a lot of counting. I'm just not good at it!

Ellen D. said...

Counting stitches can be a challenge for sure. Glad you like the way it turned out so you didn't have to rip some out. Sweet saying for a reader!

steph said...

how cute is this!!! great job...and glad you can enjoy it at home before it lands at work.

Araignee said...

It's sweet!
I have the same issue with borders and straight lines. I've had to rip out the border on my tree sampler twice now.

Kim in Oregon said...

I promised myself that I won't let the counting get me upset. No matter what I try, I'm always off. I think it makes the project more personal!

WendyKnits said...

I'm impressed that you can do counted cross stitch -- period! I did a lot in my younger years but my eyes are to old to manage it now.

Alison said...

I love that you are happy to show and admit your counting was slightly off. You enjoyed the process and the piece brings you joy. Go girl