05 October 2020

FO Post: Look I Made a Hat!

 [With apologies to Stephen Sondheim, but I like to think he would appreciate it.]

We had a lovely weekend at our house - perfect weather, and it was one of those weekends where the days were a combination of getting things accomplished and just enjoying the day.  Topped off with a win by the Eagles last night - finally!  

One thing that pleased me was finally being able to get some decent pictures of a finished project - the hat I made for a Christmas gift for my great-nephew Zach.

Project:  Zach's Scrappy Hat

Pattern:  St Mungo's Simple Hat, by Stephanie Offer (a free pattern)

Needles:  US size 6

Yarn:  All leftovers from my stash - two strands of fingering to create a DK weight yarn.  The brim is a combination of leftover Hedgehog Fibre Sock in the Construct colorway, and an unknown yarn, followed by Construct held with leftover Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the Mixed Berries colorway.

The bulk of the hat is Cedar Hill Farm Company Mission Sock in the Sweet Strawberry colorway, and Fiberstory Fave Sock in the Tranquil colorway.

Modifications:  None

Notes:  This was a really simple, well-written pattern.  The brim took the longest to knit, simply because it is really long so it can be folded up.  My metric-challenged brain needed help with the measurements and needle size, but that was easily enough resolved, so don't let that keep you from knitting it if you are in the U.S.


I plan to make one more hat for a Christmas gift, and then unless something strikes me for The Tim or even for the critters, I'll be finished with my holiday gifts for this year!

This pleases me greatly.

Let's hope this week will be more pleasing to all of us - I know better than to get much more carried away than "more pleasing" ... 😉

6 comments:

Nance said...

I love the spiral effect of the decreases in this hat pattern. It's so attractive and makes such a nice finish. Well done! You've really been in Go Mode for your holiday gifting production.

Time to get a head start on next year! ;-)

Kym said...

What a great hat, Bridget! And well done YOU for being so ahead-of-the-game with your holiday gift knitting! XO

Dee said...

Congrats on the finish. I love how the decreases swirl.

Araignee said...

Nice hat!!! I like the top decreases. I am not a fan of hat knitting because they seem to take forever but you made that one in warp speed. I am impressed!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Great hat!

Minerva said...

That's a nice hat! I just finished one for my husband, but it's not as nice as yours. I am an experienced knitter, but I have little experience in hat knitting.