26 October 2020

FO Post: OK, I Think This Is Really the Last Gift Knit

I hope your weekend was as good as ours was!  Even better, it seemed nice and long, but in a good way.  Plus, I managed to finish what I am 99.99999% certain is really and truly the last gift knit for this year! 


Project:  Tim's Christmas Shortie Slipper Socks

Pattern:  Just a plain vanilla sock pattern, made into shortie socks, with a few tweaks (I can share it if you like, but it's nothing new I have to warn you!)

Yarn:  Plymouth Encore Worsted in the colorways Merry (main color), and Christmas Red (accents color)

Needles:  US size 5

Notes:  I have been wanting to make another pair of shortie slipper socks for The Tim, and when I remembered I had some Christmas-y yarns, it seemed like the perfect idea.  I knew I could get them finished fairly quickly, since they were both shortie socks, and the yarn was worsted.  And they did zip right along, taking only two weeks of somewhat regular knitting.  I'm so thrilled with how they turned out, and have decided that this is the pair I will give him for his birthday, so that he can be wearing them during Christmastime.  He has been wearing the previous pair of mismatched ones I made for him over the summer almost non-stop the past couple of days, since we've had some cool and damp temperatures.


However, I won't be able to make a matching pair for me, since this is all of the main color yarn I have left:

I must say this pleases me, since I like it when I don't have a lot of yarn left over - this will be just fine for an accent on something, or even for a little decoration or ornament.  😊

Unless I come across someone who simply *must* have something very quick for the holidays, I would say I'm finished with my gift knitting - yay!  Of course, The Tim has been known to casually mention something like, "Oh you know what would be nice if you wanted to knit me a gift - [insert item]."  Usually, though when he sees me working on gifts, he'll mention it and so far this year he hasn't so I should be safe, to to speak ...

Yesterday afternoon, I put 4 blocks onto my Cozy Squares of Memory blanket, but other than that, right now, I have nothing going on my needles!  But never fear, yesterday I wound up a skein of yarn for a pair of socks for me, and even knit a swatch for a future project.  The socks will definitely be started today, and we'll see what the swatch has to say before moving forward on anything else.

I should have plenty of knitting time this week, as the only day I will be going into to work is on Thursday.  I generally also go in on Tuesdays, but tomorrow morning I have a couple of medical things, and decided that instead of worrying how long anything might take, I'd just use the day as a sick day.  It always makes me extra anxious to sit in a waiting room and wonder how late I'll be to work, and these days, I decided I just don't need the extra stress if it can be avoided.

I hope it will be a good week for all of us.  I can't believe it's already the last week of October.  Time seems to be either standing still, or zooming along - no in betweens, at least for me.  Take care, and happy knitting, reading, stitching, or whatever pleases you!

7 comments:

Nance said...

Well done on the yarn for the shortie socks! I'd have been panicking, probably. I always underestimate the amount for the bindoff.

Dee said...

I'm sure Tim will really appreciate those cozy socks. While the temp in the house here is stable at 67°, the floors feel quite chilly on bare feet.

Congrats on the finish AND finishing your Christmas list of knitting.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That's fantastic! I still have a lot on my list, and with November creeping so close, I'm worried I won't have them all done!

Minerva said...

Playing yarn chicken is no fun, but when it works out that you have enough to finish, it's great! The shortie socks are so festive. Great job.

Araignee said...

Great socks! Congrats on winning that game of yarn chicken. I always get nervous when I am making man socks. It never looks like there is going to be enough yarn to finish but there always is.

kathy b said...

Applause for your gifting work! WOW.

I liked how going to the doctors office last week was very organized. No one suspected of Covid goes to that location. Still I sat on the exam table longer than I wanted. But I do know docs are stacked with patients and work. So I was patient.

karen said...

playing yarn chicken is always satisfying when I win. Glad you won!