24 August 2022

In Which I Read, Knit ... And Become Suspicious

Hello all, and Happy Wednesday! This week is moving right along for me, though I am still having a hard time keeping track of what day it is. I'm not sure why I'm having that kind of issue, but why ask why, you know?

Today I'm joining Kat and the others for Unraveled Wednesday. Even when I don't participate, I love seeing what everyone is making and reading.  

I just started this book on Monday:


Not great literature, but I had just finished a few intense books in a row, and needed a palate cleanser. I had read one of the installments of this series - OK, it was a Christmas one, so sue me - a few years ago, and remembered that I enjoyed it. So I thought maybe I'd start at the beginning to see if I wanted to fill in up to the one I'd read. So far, it's just what I was in the mood to read, and having never been to Key West in Florida, I'm enjoying getting a sense of the place through this book.

As far as my knitting goes, I've started on a project that will be a Christmas gift. You may remember that last year I made my niece Liz's husband Greg a Musselburgh hat. (Ravelry link) I had put my niece Amanda and her husband Pat in charge of "explaining" it to Greg when he opened it. When I was showing them how it worked, Pat said, "That is so cool, I would LOVE one of those!" But at the time, it was only about a month before Christmas, and there was no way I was going to make another one in a short time at the holidays.

But I tucked that away for later, and this year, Pat will get his own Musselburgh hat. So far, it looks like I'm knitting a pyramid:


But, having made one last year, I know that it will really and truly turn into a hat. 😀

Now ... you may be saying to yourself, OK, that's what she is reading, and what she is knitting, but why does she mention being suspicious? Well, I started the hat above earlier this week. Then, yesterday at my LYS job, I was assigned my next project for there. As a bit of background, we are assigned projects to work on while we are there, to showcase various yarns carried in the shop. I finished a watch cap on Sunday, during my shift, and so it was time for another project, and I was given the yarn and pattern to make another hat.

Well, here's why I'm suspicious, at least right now. The pattern that is for my "shop project" is from a very well-known designer. And granted, I didn't get very far into it yesterday, but at first read through, it seems suspiciously close to the Musselburgh pattern. It's the same concept when it's finished as well. Now I know that certain designs are kind of universal, and everyone tweaks them to make them their own, but I am just suspicious at this point. Since I'm knitting a Musselburgh at home and this other project two days a week at the shop, it will give me a unique chance to contast and compare, as it were.

I'll keep you posted. I kinda wish I had a deerstalker hat and a pipe, to be honest, LOL.

13 comments:

Nance said...

I just love this job for you, working at your LYS, knitting up things with their yarn, talking about knitting and yarn and all the things that go with it with customers. It must be such a relief and a reward for you.

Dee said...

That's a great kind of job..............one where you get to knit.

Araignee said...

I follow Ysolda on Twitter and Instagram and that hat is all the rage. I've seen so many of them in the past month or so I've been tempted to make one myself.

Juliann in WA said...

I am curious about this hat because I heard someone in a yarn shop say they thought that pattern looked just like the Mussleburgh but it was Ysolda????

kmkat said...

I look forward to reading your conclusion about the two hats!

Vera said...

I want to know more about the two hats! So nice that you are working at Loop - you must LOVE it!

KSD said...

Or some hounds to release or something. . .

Kim in Oregon said...

I'm wondering if this happens all the time in the knitting world--someone tweaks an existing pattern and publishes it anew. I remember a bit of a brouhaha a while back about a hat with sheep on it? Someone took the chart and made a scarf pattern or something.

julia in KW said...

I thought the same thing when I looked at the “new” pattern. I have now knit 5 of Ysolde’s pattern and one in the needles as tv knitting, so I am also curious to see what you think!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

And now you have us all intrigued! I look forward to your reports!

Jane said...

What a great job. I'm anxious to how the shop sample compares.

Jane said...

By the way, I think we should all read whatever we want, when we want. I read a lot of mysteries and enjoy them.

Cathy said...

Another one here wondering if you’ll find the answer.

I’m not a fan of circular knitting- just like those straights I’ve been used to since a child. I have used dpns but don’t laugh, I get confused using them…..
That’s a very manly colour you’re using - is it blue based or a dark charcoal grey - it’s hard to tell in the photo.