08 August 2022

Then July Happened ...

When we last left my life saga, we had reached the end of June, the end of my full-time job of 12 1/2 years, and the end of guaranteed income and health insuruance. Well, I had signed up for Social Security and Medicare, but had not yet heard that they were active. So ... only kinda/sorta worried about income and health care. 

To end June in the BEST possible way <insert sarcasm>, The Tim woke up on June 30 not feeling well. You may or may not remember that The Tim is seldom sick - he hardly ever even gets a cold. He took and Covid test, and of course it was positive. Which, if you think about it, was really the perfect way for June to end. Anyway, we had avoided catching it for over 2 years, so I guess we had a good run. He called his doctor, and was given Paxlovid, so between that and being vaccinated and boosted, he was on his way to recovering.

We hadn't made any specific Plans for July 4, so we didn't have to cancel anything, but we usually have our own little picnic, and I figured I'd just wait and see how he felt before getting anything to have or fixing any food ahead of time (i.e., potato salad). 

Fortunately for him, he had milder symptoms - a sore throat, some fatigue, and congestion. And the Paxlovid made a huge difference.

You are likely guessing the inevitable at this point, and dear reader, you would be correct. In spite of my best efforts to avoid interacting with The Tim, our house is only so big. So on the morning of July 4, I woke up feeling AWFUL. And of course, tested positive for Covid. I do not recommend it as a way to celebrate a long weekend holiday - 0 out of 10 stars.

My doctor prescribed Paxlovid as well, and as is my kind of luck with illness, my symptoms were a lot worse. I was pretty miserable for a couple of weeks, though again, the medication and being vaccinated and boosted made a huge difference. I still have some congestion and a Covid cough, and fortunately my constant fatigue is nearly gone. But the coughing, aches, headache, earache, and overall difficulty breathing made me thankful that if I had to end up getting Covid, it was now instead of in the early parts of it. The suffering of those people was unbearable to think about.

So, we both recovered, and then I got to spend the next week or so fighting with my former employer. I received the paycheck that covered my leftover vacation days, except it only covered half of them. When I called to question it, I was told that I had more vacation left than it was the policy to pay for - I mentioned that it was not on purpose, it was because we were not allowed to take any vacation when the number of staff was so low. But alas, I did not prevail. And yes, I could have made an issue of it, but I was just done (which is I'm guessing what they imagine will happen). I "officially" closed that chapter, with no regrets.

In the third week of July, the woman who is one of the owners of the LYS near my house - Loop - contacted me to see if I might be interested in working a couple of days a week in the shop.  Um .... YES! At this point, I knew that I would be getting Social Security starting in the middle of August, but I had still been looking for a part-time job. The LYS job is currently two days a week - Tuesdays and Sundays, and the pay isn't really great - but you know what? After looking for a part-time job for over a year, I'm thrilled to have *anything* at this point. Plus, my commute to work on those two days is two blocks!!! The people are nice, and the yarn is pretty, and if nothing else ever happens, I have this job, and who knows, maybe I'll be able to add on another day at some point.

So, let's review:

Beginning of July = ICK
Middle of July = Better, but still questionable
End of July = YAY!!!

Finances will still be iffy for a while, until we get used to all of the adjustments that need to happen, and my Medicare is still being processed, but progress is being made, and I think it will be OK in the end. Because I really believe that, but also because we have to make it OK in the end, right?? 😊

12 comments:

Nance said...

My goodness, Bridget, you have really been through it. I'm so sorry you had such a lousy time of it and so relentlessly.

It's just terrific that your LYS sought you out for some part-time work! What a wonderful and cozy place for you to end up. It certainly has to feel like a reward at this point. I know you'll love it and feel much more valued and happy there.

I'm glad things are on the upswing now for you. You've certainly earned it and deserve it.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

What's the saying...? Everything will be alright in the end... and if it's not alright, it's not the end!

Vera said...

Oh yay! Sorry about the Covid part, but glad you are both recovered and I know you will have FUN working at Loop!! And, again, I'm so glad you are out of your former situation - what a cluster that was!!

Dee said...

Congrats on the new job at Loop. Seems to me that is a perfect fit.

Araignee said...

Working in a yarn store? That's my idea of heaven. I'm not sure I would have much left in my paycheck but I know I'd be having fun.

Kim in Oregon said...

I'm so sorry about the Covid. I keep thinking I'll be getting it one of these days, if I haven't already. Yuck. But hooray on the job! I think just being out and about in a happy place will make all the difference in your perspective of things, and that everything will fall into place!

KSD said...

Love and love and love you. Watch out, August.

sprite said...

I'm sorry you got COVID and that your ex-employer went out with a jerk bang (honestly, I know you just want to be rid of them, but it feels like something you could take to the DOL), but I'm glad you're feeling better and that there's some work at a place that values you.

karen said...

well now a job at a LYS sounds like heaven and I hope it is stress free :) I'm sorry you had covid but I'm glad you both recovered!! May your finances settle down and you feel more on solid ground in the weeks ahead. I am assuming your STRESS will be less now that you are not working at the other job. (a blessing!)

Kym said...

Oh, Bridget. You did have A Month in July, didn't you? I'm so happy you're feeling better after your bout with Covid, and also that you'll be working at the yarn shop a couple of days a week. It's a great start to a new chapter in your life. Here's to good health and a bright new day. XO

Mereknits said...

I feel your Covid pain, after having it myself a few weeks ago. My fatigue was bone crushing, I am still tired and oh that brain fog is real! Glad you are both better. I am thrilled about the yarn store! How exciting and such a wonderful and peaceful place to work after all the stress you have had. Congrats!

andrea said...

Glad you are both feeling better! What a rollercoaster of a ride - ending with a fun part time job! wooo! i'll come visit you!