22 August 2022

Sweet Sixteen

This past Saturday, August 20, 2022, this blog turned Sweet Sixteen!  


I thought about posting on Saturday, but ... well, I was too busy doing pretty much nothing. 😊 (God forbid I make an effort to do something, right??)

I remember when I started blogging, it was mainly because at the time, I had few knitting friends, but thought it would be a good way to make some online friends. I also liked swaps and knitalongs, and most of them were hosted via other people's blogs - this was before Ravelry and most social media!

I have to say I am both pleased and frankly surprised to find that 16 years later, there are people who read my posts about knitting, crafting, baking, cooking, cats, dogs, reading, and whatever happens to come into my brain on any given day. There have been different "waves" of followers through the years, but some people have been there from the start. And it's given me no end of happiness and comfort to have those friends - I think I've said it before, but I feel incredibly close to some of you, even if we have never/maybe will ever meet in real life.

Two people who are extremely special to me in real life that I would have not met otherwise, Dee and Vera, came from having this blog, and knowing them alone has been worth the price of admission! 

Since my bout with Covid meant that I had to skip Christmas in July this year, I have decided that my blog turning sixteen is worthy of a giveaway. It will be a surprise package, so I'm not going to show you any of the goodies it contains.


All you have to do to be eligible is leave a comment on this post by Thursday, August 25, by midnight (EDT), and I will announce the winner on Friday. I really want to do this, because I so missed having our July giveaways, and one to celebrate my blog's birthday seemed like a good way to have some of that fun.

The giveaway is open to anyone, living anywhere, in any location where you can receive mail.

Thanks to everyone who reads this blog, and also to those who comment. I really love being able to come here and see what everyone has to say. It's the best feeling to have friends!

21 comments:

Vera said...

WOW! Sixteen years is a long time - congratulations! I was just thinking the other day that it has been too long (years!!) since you and Dee and I got together. That needs to be rectified!!

Ellen D. said...

Congratulations on your Sweet 16th anniversary of your blog! I am not a knitter but I enjoy your blog anyway! I feel the same way you do about the blogs I visit each day - like I am connecting with friends I have met around the world! It has really lifted my spirits after retirement and Covid! Thanks so much for posting, Bridget, and best wishes for a happy future with more blogging!

Dee said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww, thanks for the sweet shout out.

Happy sweet 16, friend. :-)

Shirley said...

Happy 16th blog anniversary! I enjoy your posts and read your book reports with my library website open so I can request books that appeal to me.

Kim in Oregon said...

Happy blog birthday! I think mine was in August and I'm thinking it was 12 years, because your blog birthday has to be all about me.

Araignee said...

Congrats! I started my blog because I couldn't say everything I wanted to say about my projects on Ravelry. When I said too much people got mean so I was happy to find a safer space to say what I want. Blog commenters are so much nicer than those forum folks.

Patricia & Fouad said...

Congrats Bridget on this milestone. Your blog is a delight to read. Have a wonderful week with your sweet little kitties. πŸ§ΆπŸŽ‰πŸ˜½

sprite said...

Happy Sweet 16, Bridget! I'm thinking we first found each other through one of Amanda's swaps way back when, but however we got here, I'm so glad we did!

Michelle B. said...

Congratulations! 16 years is quite the accomplishment. I hope to be reading your blog in 2038.

julia in KW said...

Happy 16th! I don’t have a blog, but reading knitting blogs about 16 years ago saved my sanity during a stressful period, so thank you!

KSD said...

Congratulations! Be aware that the blog may start begging for its learner's permit, for curfew to be extended, wearing earphones all the time, and generally eye-rolling at the entire world.

nypeapod.com said...

Wow, I'm impressed with 16 years. I just started my blog in January so am quite far behind. I love to read your blog. I am a knitter and reader (along with lots of other assorted crafts/cooking). You give great book recommendations. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I can’t say I’ve been along for the ride for 16 years but for sure the last 8. After I retired I found reading your blog and a few others part of my morning coffee routine. I hate to miss a day and always try to catch up. With Covid and the isolation I found some comfort knowing I’d have a friend going through many of the same feelings.
Cheers to you
Cheryl (aka seajaes on ravelry)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on sixteen years Bridget. I haven’t been here from the beginning but as near as I can recall I’ve been following you for ten years at least. I found Dee’s blog through you, so thank you for that too. I look forward to visiting you for another sixteen years.

Nance said...

Happy 16th, Bridget! That's a long time to be writing here, and so prolifically, too. Congratulations.

I don't remember how I found you, but I'm very glad I did. Here's to another sixteen. I very much enjoy reading you.

Kym said...

Imagine . . . if your blog was a child, it would be DRIVING now! Happy blog-iversary, Bridget! I've been reading a long, long time . . . and so happy to have "met" you in this wonderful virtual world! XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 16 years! I don't have a blog but yours is one I enjoy reading.

Carol said...

Wow, 16 years is a long time! I am not a blogger but I enjoy reading yours and lots of others also. I have read some of your book selections too.

Juliann in WA said...

Happy blog birthday! I stopped reading blogs for a bit because I could not comment - some weird blogspot glitch even though I have had a blogspot account for a long time. But last week I discovered I could comment again and that makes the reading part so much more fun. Enjoy the next 16 years πŸ˜‰

karen said...

Happy anniversary baby!! May you keep blogging on and on and on!!

Meredith MC said...

Congratulations on 16 years! I’m catching up on my blog reading so I know this was a couple of weeks ago, but I want to take the opportunity to tell you that I appreciate your blog and how generously you share yourself here. It makes me feel more hope for humanity when I can read the thoughts of a fellow knitter and American from another part of the country and see that we have much in common. And, your pets are so entertaining.