31 August 2022

Reading and A Martini

This week I was ready for another Unraveled Wednesday, with my current book and three - count 'em, three - knitting projects underway.

I am nearly halfway through this book:


First of all, I'd never even heard of The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919, so you can be sure that when I saw this, I was more than ready to find out all about it. This book is just so good, putting human stories of survivors along with official records and newspaper stories together to tell the story of what led to the flood, what the flood was, and how it changed everything. Like so many stories, it's about how the business/corporate desire for profit overrode considerations for smaller companies and immigrant populations in the area. I got to a certain point last night and had to put it down, because I was feeling so heartbroken for the victims and their families. But I'm ready to pick it up again and keep reading.

Knitting-wise, I've got three projects underway - all of them gifts. You already know about the Musselburgh hat I'm making for Pat, my niece Amanda's husband. That will be a Christmas gift.
 
I also started a pair of socks for The Tim that will be an anniversary gift, and have about 8 rows of the top ribbing on sock #1 done, so - no photo. 😊

The third project is going to be either a Christmas gift or a birthday gift for my niece Amanda (her BD is December 29). Since Amanda - as well as the rest of us - loves a good martini, I decided to knit her the Martini Party Shawlette.

Years ago, I participated in a yarn club where you got yarn and a pattern every two months. One of the months, yarns from The Plucky Knitter were featured, along with the shawlette pattern. I knew I would want to knit it someday, but it has lived in my stash waiting for its turn in the limelight. And the waiting has paid off, since I'm finally getting around to using it for the intended project.


This photo doesn't show them as bright as the colors actually are, but these ar the yarns I'm usings. On the left, the pinkish shade is called Cosmopolitan; the green, Appletini.  

What about you? What are you reading and/or making? If you are curious to see what is going on with some others, click on the link at the start of this post and treat your curiosity!

11 comments:

Nance said...

I've read about the Molasses Flood a few times. It always seems to turn up in lists of oddities or articles about weird events that crop up in my news feed or something. It sounds funny, but it truly was not.

The shawlette pattern is a pretty one. It will be a lovely gift and much appreciated and admired, I'm sure.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

We watched a documentary on the flood not that long ago. It's funny at first, but then you realize how dire and serious it was.

You've got two of my fav colours for the shawlette there - I love those shades too!

Araignee said...

It's 11 am and now all I can think of is having a martini. You've got me wondering if I have any vermouth..lol.

Cathy said...

The book sounds right up my street, wondering if my library in the UK might have it.

KSD said...

Making dishtowel, scarf, rollneck sweater. Reading nothing, as I just finished "Democracy in Black" and "The Inkblots," and haven't decided on the next book(s).

sprite said...

I knit myself a shawl in those colors and adore it. Your niece is going to love it.

Kat said...

Those yarns are too fun! I think your niece will just love them! And I had never heard of the Great Molasses flood (book added to my TBR list, thank you!)

Vera said...

Yeah, a martini would be good right about now. That book sounds interesting - especially since I've never heard of the molasses flood. That shawl will be amazing. You MUST post pictures of it before you give it away!! Are you going to NJS&W? Dee and I will be there Saturday - my birthday!!! How lucky is that?

Anonymous said...

Love the bright colours. Please post pics as it goes along. I’m working on a sweater project with no rush but not this week. I’m at my sisters and decided to just bring some yarn for baby hats. Our knitting group is doing another challenge. Last time w3 got about 600 hats for our local hospital. I’m on my third right now.
Cheryl (Aka seajaes from ravelry)

Kym said...

I had never heard of the Great Molasses Flood either, but it was an event featured in a novel I read a couple of years ago (Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken), and I found it fascinating! It didn't seem it could be REAL. But . . . it was. Anyway, that sounds like an interesting book. :-) I'm knitting a sweater in colors very much like you're using for you shawl. (As in . . . we could be twins!) I'll tell you, they are fun, happy colors and so much fun to knit with. I'll look forward to seeing your shawl emerge. XO

PS I just finished reading The Netanyahus, a very quirky book that I really, really liked.

Ellen D. said...

I've been re-reading some of the series I enjoyed years ago. The one bonus of getting older is I have forgotten the "who-done-it" in these mysteries so I can read them again! :)
Sue Grafton's the Alphabet mystery series and
Anne Perry's the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt mysteries.