15 September 2022

A Thursday Poem


Today I saw that Bonny, Kat, and Kym are celebrating poetry by posting a poem each third Thursday of the month, and are encouraging others to do the same. I'm not sure I'll participate regularly, but I recently happened upon a poem that pleased me, and was hoping to find a day to share it - so today turns out to be the day!

********

The Blessing of the Old Woman, the Tulip, and the Dog
by Alicia Ostriker

To be blessed
said the old woman
is to live and work
so hard
God's love
washes right through you
like milk through a cow.

To be blessed
said the dark red tulip
is to knock their eyes out
with the slug of lust
implied by
your up-ended skirt.

To be blessed 
said the dog
is to have a pinch
of God
inside you
and all the other 
dogs can smell it.

4 comments:

kayT said...

What a great poem! And by a poet I don't know, so a double delight. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Araignee said...

Wow...there's a lot happening in those few words.

Kym said...

Oh, Bridget! What a fabulous poem! I thank you for sharing it today. (It's a keeper, and I'll be glad to have in my poetry folder.) XO

KSD said...

". . .your upended skirt" is much prettier than "cellar door."