26 September 2022

Thoughts on a Monday

Did you ever notice that no matter what, Monday always shows up? What's that about? 😉

Do any of you remember years ago, "Saturday Night Live" had a segment called "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey?" They were ridiculous, for example:


Though thinking about it, I could see myself coming up with something like this.

Anyway, I have no specific topic for today's post, but instead decided to just share some random thoughts here. So you've been warned, and if you keep reading, that's on you.

-- Since the governor of Florida has so many available funds at his disposal that he can use some of them to send immigrants to Martha's Vineyard, does that mean that when Hurricane Ian hits Florida this week, he won't need to request aid from the federal government to help people recover? Or did he use all of the money for the immigrants' transportation?

-- Does anyone else feel like NASA trying to explode an asteroid and change its course is a dicey experiment? I don't know, it just sounds like the beginning of a 1950s horror movie to me.

-- I am thrilled that not only has fall arrived, but it brought the fall weather that I love along with it. It gives me life, I have to say. 

-- Remember that hat I was knitting for the yarn shop that I felt was suspiciously like the Musselburgh Hat by Ysolda Teague? Well, I'm happy to report that people both online and in person are expressing the same thing. The hat in question is a "new" design by a designer whose name rhymes with "Flared Judd."

-- My friend and co-worker at the yarn store, Kathy, is having knee replacement surgery in mid-October. Our boss asked me if I would be interested in filling in for her on the Mondays she would usually work until she returns. I said that I would check the calendar, because I had purposely scheduled doctor appts, etc. on days I wasn't working at the shop. The previous week, she had asked if I would like to start working a third day on a regular basis starting in October, and I was happy to pick that up. So it may turn out that until the end of December, there are weeks when I'll work for four days. Which would be nice for the old bank account, but it means I'll have to plan things more closely as far as getting ready for holidays, etc. I have no obligation to do it, but I figure that if I can bank a bit more into savings until the end of the year, it will be a good start to 2023. And then I'll go to three days a week, which was my original hope for any part-time job.

-- Speaking of part-time jobs, I have still been applying for them when I see one that I could do and are interested in, and still nothing. Not even a "Thanks but no thanks." So I am even more grateful for my yarn store job than I was before!

-- Do you remember the challenge I was telling you I'm doing with a friend and also with my niece Amanda? We all agreed to try and walk/move a minimum of 30 minutes a day in September. We text each other to stay accountable, and it's gone really well for each of us. Over the weekend, we realized that this is the last full week of September, so we're trying to decide what/if to continue doing. So I would say if you want to try and get yourself any kind of exercise, but can't motivate yourself, find one or two friends to do it with you, and agree to text each time you have done something. We each live in different states, and even so, it's been both fun and motivating to have accountability. 

-- The other day, I heard a woman talking on her phone while I was waiting in line at the grocery store (of course I heard her - I'm pretty sure people in Maine could have also heard her). At one point she said, "I would rather be dead than keep getting old." Wow. I don't know, maybe she has some terrible health thing going on, though she looked fine. But if the only thing bugging her is that she is getting older, she's pretty darn lucky.

-- I think everyone should hug/kiss/say "I love you" to all of their family members (human and otherwise) at least once every single day.

And now, I'll just leave you with this - I hope your week is a good one!

7 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Jack Handey's Deep Thoughts was one of my fave parts of SNL.

On the job application front... just in case you haven't already thought of/been aware... a lot of companies use scanning software to screen resumes. Sadly, most of this software is apparently crap, but apparently HR has to justify the expense, so a lot of places still keep using it, even though it actually ends up putting qualified candidates into the slush pile.

This article has some good tips to get your resume noticed by the computer, so it actually get on the desk of a person as some point.
https://news.clearancejobs.com/2020/01/20/how-to-get-your-resume-noticed-when-you-apply-online/

Kim in Oregon said...

Lots to ponder here. I say "I love you" not only to my family but to all the neighbor dogs and cats when I run into them (at least once a day).

Kim in Oregon said...

Me again. I visited the Rav page for the pattern in question and someone asked "How is this different from the Musselburgh?" Here is the answer:

Hello,

Thank you for your question! While Musselburgh uses four-point, consistently diagonal crown shaping, as I mentioned in my other comment the hat uses five-point, progressively rounded crown shaping (designed to hug the head, becoming steeper as it nears the crown). It also includes both beanie and watchcap lengths, and detailed instructions for incorporating several kinds of colorplay into the hat.


Araignee said...

I was just listening to a podcast that was talking about that NASA thing and how they are hoping that shifting the orbit of that asteroid wasn't asking for trouble. What could go wrong, right?

KSD said...

Random thought posts are fantastic. Thank you.

Kym said...

I love this post, Bridget. It sort of feels like we're sitting together over a cup of tea (or a latte?) . . . with our knitting, of course. Did you see the movie Don't Look Up? (it was on Netflix earlier this year)? The NASA asteroid-blasting experiment reminds me of that movie. . . which made me roll my eyes. A lot. And I hope you and your "walking pals" KEEP WALKING! :-) It will help you NOT be like that lady in the grocery line (such a crap attitude, by the way; don't get me started). Have a great day, Bridget! (Wish we could ACTUALLY share a hot beverage and our knitting . . . ) XO

karen said...

so glad you are getting more hours at the yarn store (perfect place to work if you ask me...). I would rather be ALIVE and never DEAD no matter what my age...