29 September 2022

Thursday Snuck Up on Me This Week

Today I've decided to join Carole and others for Three on Thursday. So here are three things that are completely unrelated, but are currently going on with me.

1. Well, it's that time of year again:


Yesterday, just like Bart Simpson above, I closed my eyes and managed to get my flu shot for this year. Which of course means that today my entire body aches, my right arm is SORE, and I'm pretty sure that I'm at death's door. And yet, I'm glad I took care of that, because getting the flu is not on my list of fave things to do.

2. Because I am old, I wear a watch every day. Yes, I know that I can see the time on my phone, or on the computer, etc., but I grew up wearing a watch and I rely on my watch. I have three watches - my "good" watch, my gecko watch (a Timex for children, but ask me if I care), and a cheapo watch that The Tim bought for me because it has a leopard print strap, and he knows I'm a sucker for that. They are all battery operated, as are all (?) watches these days. And on Sunday, after I arrived at the yarn store for my shift, I realized that the very last one with a working battery had stopped. 

You would think with battery-operated watches being common, finding a place to get a new watch battery would be simple. At least in this area, you would be wrong. So my plan on Saturday is to go to a place in the burbs that I know has watch batteries and will replace them for me.  

In the meantime, I *could* wear the watch my father gave my mother on their first anniversary, which is a winding watch. The only problem is, the face and the numbers are so incredibly small, I can't really see them that well. Sigh.

Time may be a construct, but apparently it's one that I rely on ... as a matter of fact, even though I'm writing this on my laptop, I just looked at my wrist to check the time (for anyone wondering, I think it's Half Past a Vein).

3. Do you plan ahead on your knitting projects? As in, when you are finishing say, a shawl, do you say to yourself, "Next up is the so-and-so sweater," and then stick to that? I tend to have a broad plan of "I'd like to try and knit this next," but a lot of the time I'm at a loss, and then other times, the plan (such as it is) goes right out the window due to something new and shiny that I have come across. That happened this week when I kept seeing references to, and photos of, the Cargill sweater (pattern coming out tomorrow, Friday, September 30). For reasons that I can't even quite gather, I really really want to make this sweater - and this is waaaay out of my usual wheelhouse! Taking it a step further, I used my employee discount, plus a $50 gift card I won last year before I was working at the yarn store, to buy the yarn I would need to  knit it!  WHAT??? On the plus side, it's yarn I wouldn't usually be able to afford in a sweater quantity, and by the time all of the discounts were tallied, it cost me only a bit more than $35. But - I have not been so taken with something and bought yarn to make it right away for years, and I just hope in the end I use the yarn for something ... I'll keep you posted. (But I have to admit that as I was buying the yarn, I kept thinking to myself, "Who ARE you??")

And that's that for today. Time to move some laundry around and clean the bathrooms. I'm telling myself that if I try as much as possible to do some of the usual things, the flu shot effects will not bother me as much ...

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I too still wear a watch on my wrist-- always there and don't have to fumble for my phone or whatever... By the way, I have found the Batteries Plus store works very well for batteries for my watch. Don't know if they are convenient to you or not. I opted into their plan to pay a relatively low upfront cost (can't remember how much-- it was several years ago) and then after that the replacement batteries for the watch are "free". In case you want to check into that... And enjoy the rest of your Thursday!

Araignee said...

I plan for my next knitting project the minute I cast something new on and rarely if ever get around to it because I am a terrible impulse knitter. Last night I was up until 2 am working on a sweater I just had to start at 9 pm because....well, who knows why. I saw something on Ravelry and off I went. I woke up this morning wondering what on earth was I thinking.

Kym said...

For some reason that was not a conscious decision, I stopped wearing a watch back when I was having chemo. (I'm sure there's a meaning behind my action, but I've never thought too much about it). I completely broke what was then a life-long, watch-wearing habit. I only recently started wearing a watch again. I'm back in the habit, but I think I could leave it behind at any time. ;-) As for your sweater, I say Follow Your Muse! I can't wait to see it! XO

Kym said...

PS . . . Like Elizabeth, Tom swears by Batteries Plus (which he calls "Batteries Be We") for finding the odd, obscure types of batteries. (We don't have any kind of "plan," though.) If you have a Batteries Plus store around, you may find it very convenient.

karen said...

super excited about your sweater!! Impulse knitting is the best and is quite the 'high' for me.

Dee said...

I still wear a watch. It's a kinetic watch, meaning it winds itself as you wear it. Only problem is if you leave it for a day you have to reset it (it winds down) and it is a BEAR getting the stem open.

On another "time" based rant:

We recently changed cable providers. The new DVR box does not show the time. It's killing me!!!

KSD said...

Like you, I get sick after a flu shot. three and a half to four hours later. You can set a clock by it.

I don't plan ahead at all. I wait for the spirit to move me when it's time to start something new.